How your dermatologists in Levittown, Long Beach, and Oceanside, NY, can help you prevent skin cancer
When you spend time in the sun, the heat on your skin feels fantastic. Unfortunately, while you are enjoying the sun, your skin is experiencing damage which can accumulate over time. Eventually, excessive, unprotected sun exposure can lead to skin cancer.
The dermatologists at South Nassau Dermatology provide comprehensive skincare services, including diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer. They have several locations in Oceanside, Levittown, and Long Beach, NY, to help you.
If you leave your skin unprotected while out in the sun, you could be one of over 3 million people in the United States who are treated for skin cancer. It’s important for you to know how to protect yourself against skin cancer. There are a few simple tips you can do to prevent skin cancer, including:
- Applying a sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher daily
- Applying a sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher if you are outside for an extended period of time
- Avoiding being in direct sunlight between 10 AM and 4 PM, when ultraviolet rays are the most harmful
- Wearing protective clothing, including hats and sunglasses
- Avoiding tanning booths
One of the most important steps you can take to protect your skin is to perform a self-check of your skin regularly, looking for:
- Moles with irregular, ragged borders
- Moles with a diameter larger than 6 millimeters
- Moles with an asymmetrical shape
- Moles that itch, bleed, or ooze
- Moles that have reoccurred after previous removal
- Itchy, scaly, red patches of skin that don’t resolve
If you notice any of the signs or symptoms listed above, or you are at high risk of skin cancer, visit your dermatologist at least once each year for a comprehensive skin examination.
To find out more about how to prevent skin cancer and what to look for, talk with the experts. Call the dermatologists at South Nassau Dermatology. You can reach them in Oceanside, NY, by calling (516) 766-0345, Levittown, NY, at (516) 520-5280, or in Long Beach, NY, by calling (516) 432-7124, so call today.